Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Ubuntu stuck on login screen


I have a small issue with my Ubuntu (I think After an upgarde).
When I try to login (Login Screen), I get disconnected and get back to the screen (again & again).


I tried:



  • Trying to login with others Desktop environements.

  • Booting from old kernel.

  • log in via command line [apt-get update && apt-get upgrade].

  • removing ~/.gconf directory.

  • sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop and sudo apt-get install unity


None of these solutions worked.



Press Ctrl+Alt+F3 and login into the shell using your username and your password. In this case username will be your username you set when you installed Ubuntu.


Now run ls -lah. If in the output the line(and look for the line that ends with .Xauthority)


-rw-------  1 root root   53 Nov 29 10:19 .Xauthority

then you need to do chown username:username .Xauthority and try logging in.


Else, do ls -ld /tmp. Check for the first 10 letters in the left: they should read exactly so: drwxrwxrwt.


drwxrwxrwt 15 root root 4096 Nov 30 04:17 /tmp

Else, you need to do sudo chmod a+wt /tmp and check again.


If not both, I'd recommend you either

Make sure you are connected to internet with DHCP on.



  1. sudo apt-get purge lightdm

  2. sudo apt-get update

  3. sudo apt-get install lightdm

  4. dpkg-reconfigure lightdm


Now type sudo shutdown -r now to restart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...