Tuesday, January 8, 2019

dual boot - How to backup & restore the full system


I use a dual-boot with windows and Ubuntu


Every topic I've read says I "will need to unmount the drive I want to back up"


Is there any way to back up the system with apps I installed and everything from LiveCD or Windows? If yes how? How do I restore it?


I want to back up the system on the same Drive . I mean I have a C:, D:, F: (the partition I want to recover Ubuntu on) and the Sys, Swap partitions


I hate having to install apps, theme, servers every time.



Download the current stable version of Clonezilla (the iso file), and create a USB boot drive or CD boot disk. Boot from it and let Clonezilla do the job for you.


I suggest that you run at beginner level (I do that too after a few years). Make a compressed image of the whole drive. The image is a directory with a number of files, and Clonezilla can restore the system into the same drive or a new drive of at least the same size.


See this link: clonezilla.org


-o-


Please notice that you should backup to another drive, either connected via the network in another computer or via USB or eSATA in the same computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...