Monday, January 28, 2019

system installation - Install 32 bit from USB, not a COM32R, then no PAE, 64 bit doesn't work either

I hope someone can help me install a linux system of some sort please, have gotten a bit stuck. I have an old laptop (DEll Latitude D500, currently running Windows XP professional version 20012, Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1300MHz 1.30GHz, 512 MB RAM, 18.5 GB hard drive). I am trying to install a nice light operating system on it, like Lubuntu or Xubuntu and have been trying to get rid of Windows and install the new system using a bootable USB which I am creating on my PC running Ubuntu 14.04.


When I try to boot the 32 bit version of either Lubuntu or Xubuntu, I first get the message:


Missing parameter in configuration file. Keyword: path
gfxboot.c32:not a COM32R image


I tried a solution I found on these forums of hitting tab, then typing 'live' then enter. At which point it starts to complain that PAE is disabled and says I should 'use parameter 'forcepae'. However I can't actually type anything after this, the laptop just beeps if I try to.


When I tried to install 64 bit versions of either operating system it came up with this:


This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot – please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU


Starting to feel that no kernel is appropriate for my CPU! Sorry I'm still a beginner, it is a crappy old laptop but would be really handy to be able to use it for a few things. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...