Tuesday, January 22, 2019

bumblebee - Cannot get Nvidia GPU running on my HP laptop (dual graphics)

I'm trying to get the GPU GeForce 940M on my new HP laptop ENVY 17-n101ng running (need CUDA eventually), but have somehow extreme troubles switching from Intel to Nvidia... I've installed nvidia-352 drivers, but could not just start using them... CUDA samples (e.g. deviceQuery) have been throwing errors... Hovewer, this command shows me both graphics cards:


lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"

Then I've installed bumblebee:


sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia bbswitch-dkms primus

set zp the bumblebee.conf up according to my Nvidia drivers. I've been able to run


optirun glxgears

and


optirun nvidia-settings -c :8

and (for the 1st time) to see my GeForce 940M there!


However, I still could not start Nvidia samples... After all I've figured out the follolowing:


sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf

and selected there "manual" or "auto" mode (do not remember this now). And... CUDA has started to operate!!! But after reboot I see only black screen... Trying to start X server by "startx" from the console leads to the following error


Fatal server error: no screens found

Now I'm lost... How can I fix my desktop at the moment? How can I still use my Nvidia card? Seems to be a real pain in Ubuntu on laptops...


Any help is kindly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...