Friday, January 25, 2019

system installation - Wiping Mac OS completely and installing Ubuntu: Will the webcam work?

What I have: old MacBook (3,1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GHz, 1 processor. OS: 10.5.8


The macbook is old and has a lot of problems (ignoring the fact that the OS cannot be updated without paying, the disk cannot be fragmented without formatting [which would make me lose the OS anyway, as I don't have a CD to reinstall it] so I cannot arrange a dual boot [yes, I have tried every conventional and unconventional way to resize/partition/etc.]).


Thus, I'd like to wipe out the entire OS and install Ubuntu. However, I'm wondering whether I need to be wary of some incompatibilities. More concretely, I have two questions:



  1. Will the webcam and microphone work? Do I need to prepare something beforehand while I still have Mac OS available? I have to attend meetings via video conferences quite often, so this is a must.


  2. Anything else to consider/prepare before formatting and installing Ubuntu?


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...