Friday, January 18, 2019

backup - Is it worth it to change from Ext4 to Ext3 in order to use Partimage?

I am looking for a partition imaging program, like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, that will run on the PC (not from live-cd or USB) and can save the image onto a separate partition. I am brand new to Linux/Ubuntu, so it must be with a GUI front-end.


I have been searching around and the only application I have been able to find to suit my needs is Partition Image (partimage), but it does not support the Ext4 file system.


Can you recommend an alternative that supports Ext4 or am I better off repartitioning my HDD for a fresh install with Ext3 (or one of the other file systems) to satisfy the partimage limitations?


I am having a lot of problems configuring Ubuntu (will get back to that later), but a working imaging software is an absolute must, so I can quickly restore the system when I screw something up and so I can learn from my mistakes. I am getting really tired of re-installing Ubuntu from scratch (6 times over the past three days) and I am slowly reaching the point where I consider using the install CD as a frisbee and going back to Windows :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...