Wednesday, January 9, 2019

package management - Viewing (and managing) software compiled from "foreign" sources


I want to see all of the software I've compiled from extra-repository sources, sources that aren't on my etc/apt/sources.list or in ppas. To clarify I'm not including .deb files- just archives. The purpose is for security and management, particularly updates. Thanks!



See my comment above. To find all files on your system that were NOT installed through the dpkg packaging system, read man dpkg-query, man find (to reduce the files checked - I'm checking everything:


sudo find / -type f -print0 | \
xargs -0 -n 1 dpkg -S | \
grep "no path found matching pattern" >>/tmp/not-owned-by-dpkg

Since this will, for each file on the system, search every package for the filename, it's going to take a loooong time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...