Saturday, July 1, 2017

grub2 - Grub, Windows Boot Manager, and BIOS


Hello I currently have a desktop with three hard drives. The first is a 120 GB SSD, second a 1 TB HDD, and third a 2 TB HDD. On my SDD I'm running Lubuntu, the 1 TB HDD has Windows 10, and the 2 TB HDD has Ubuntu MATE.


When I power on and hit F12 I see PC-Linux-OS, Ubuntu, and my drives.


For context, I started out with my solid state drive with Lubuntu on it. Later on I installed Windows 10 to my 1 TB HDD. After installing windows I noticed it did not add a boot entry, however after updating grub on Lubuntu, Windows Boot Manager was located within the Ubuntu boot entry. Then I tried to install PC-Linux-OS to my 2 TB HDD, for some reason I could not get it to work, but it added a boot entry for it (which couldn't boot). So after some deliberation I downloaded and installed Ubuntu MATE onto my 2 TB HDD but the PC-Linux-OS boot entry is still there.


So what I'm trying to do is Remove the PCLinuxOS boot entry, and separate the Windows Boot Manager from grub so that it has its own separate boot entry (default). Windows and the two Linux OS' are all on separate hard drives and I would like to make my boot menu reflect that.


Also I've been trying to figure out how to move Windows 10 to my SSD (which has Lubuntu on it), and Lubuntu to the 1 TB HDD (which has Windows on it). I saw a few questions and guides that used Clonezilla and Tuxboot but I'm not really confident with trying this yet. I feel as though if I clone my Windows HDD to the SSD with Lubuntu in it, I wont be able to boot Windows due to the fact that the Windows Boot Manager is inside grub.


Some additional information that might help:



  • gigabyte z87-ud3h


  • Intel i5 4690k


  • Samsung 128gb SSD (sda1/2/3 with lubuntu)


  • seagate 1 TB HDD (sdb1 with windows 10)


  • seagate 2 TB HDD (sdc1/2/3 with ubuntu mate)



boot info summary http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/16338254/


recommended repair summary http://paste.ubuntu.com/16354671/



Wow, 1 year and 8 months ago I asked a stupid question. I suppose for the integrity of the site I'll give my stupid answer..


First of all, to remove the old boot entries in your BIOS load screen, (I haven't figured out how to do this using Windows, I usually use a live image of Ubuntu) open a terminal and enter:


sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
sudo efibootmgr
sudo efibootmgr -b (bootcode) B


Be careful not to delete the wrong one!


Next, I had 3 hard drives with 3 different OS' on them. I installed a bunch of Linux distros and later installed Win 10 on the drives.


So the issue I had was with Grub and Windows Boot Manager. The problem here happened because I installed Windows on a another drive AFTER the other distros. To avoid this I wiped clean and started with Windows 10, ensured it had boot priority in my motherboard's BIOS settings. Then I installed the other distros after. This way Windows Boot Manager didn't end up in Grub (which was forcing me to go through multiple boot selection screens every time I powered on).


I hope this proves useful to at least 1 person :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...