Saturday, October 8, 2016

dual boot - Choosing "something else" when installing

I am in the process of installing Kubuntu 14.4 on my Windows 10 computer. Normally I would simply use the whole disk, as I don't really like Windows, however there are a few programs I like to use, and want to keep it.


I have tried this in the past, and failed. Ending up erasing the entire disk and using it for Linux. ( have used several flavors in the past )


My problem is configuring the hard disk. I have never quite been able to understand partitioning. I usually screw it up, one way or another. The last time totally messing up a hard drive in my laptop, to the point I had to install a new one and start from scratch ( hey now I have a better hard drive with double the space ) I always manage somehow to mess up the order of the partitions. Don't ask me how. It should be fairly straight forward. The last time I tried I ended up with no mount point, and could not get anything to install.


I would like to see some sort of graphic showing just what I will encounter when I choose "something else". ( I have already tried Kubuntu on this machine and it worked fine, even the touchscreen )
I remember trying to install another distro some time ago, and being presented with questions I had no idea how to answer, regarding formatting the disk. So if there is someone out there who has the patience to walk me thru this, I would appreciate it. I also have problems converting MB's to GB's. For some reason it always is much less than I thought. I have a 2 TB hard drive. So figuring it out in MB's is a bit confusing. Hey for years, I couldn't make change for a dollar!


What I have now is two small volumes at the beginning that simply say "Healthy" and nothing else. I assume they are something that came with my HP 23 Aio. Both are in the milibytes. Then There is C drive which is Windows. I have 196 GB free out of 496 GB. There is a recovery drive D marked "new volume" that is 450MB, Then there is a drive E that is the largest being 1.5 GB. It is also marked "new volume" and appears to be empty. At least that is what the file manager says.


I really don't want to shrink C drive as I have quite a few video and music files stored. Which is why I belive the drive is more than half full. Windows not showing what is stored just where. That leaves E, which I had tried to shrink, and D which I had deleted after making a recovery USB. Those two mistakes left me with unallocated space after D drive, and after E drive. So I restored from a recovery USB. ( it's still doing it's thing two hours already ). Supposedly that will restore everything to the way it was before I tried to manipulate the partitions. I have my important files saved to an external HD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...