Thursday, October 31, 2019

icons - How do you get a *.desktop file to work for a non-repository app?

I turned the Amazon cloud reader site https://read.amazon.com into a desktop app with nativefier. It works amazingly well as a standalone reader for books that have been downloaded and also automatically downloads books in the cloud when requested.


Instead of launching /home/myname/kindle-web-linux-x64/kindle-web from the console all the time, I tried to make a Kindle-Web desktop file to place in the launcher. My file won't work in two ways:



  1. It won't launch Kindle-Web.

  2. It does not display the Kindle icon on the file when viewed in Nautilus.


The code is below. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong. The icon files are in /home/myname/.local/share/icons/hicolor/, and /home/myname/.icons/hicolor/*.



[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Kindle-Web
Comment=Desktop app created from Kindle Cloud Reader page (https://read.amazon.com) by nativefier
Exec=/home/myname/kindle-web-linux-x64/kindle-web
Path=/home/myname/
# StartupNotify=true
# StartupWMClass=kindle-web
Icon=0914_Kindle.0
# Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Publishing;Literature;Documentation;Office;

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...