Saturday, October 19, 2019

installation - Installed ubuntu on external hardrive, tried to boot got grub rescue?

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 onto an external hard drive after I partitioned it and everything went well. Assuming I could boot Ubuntu I rebooted the computer and I went into Windows 7, I wanted to be in Ubuntu so I rebooted. I received the no such device grub rescue error when I booted.



I tried boot option, the external hard drive was not option so now I'm stuck using the Ubuntu disk. I tried with GRUB rescue through terminal but Ubuntu was located at /dev/sdd5 366683648 699115007 1329725440 83 Linux which was not recognized



so i tried the GRUB rescue windows by entering sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt and I received this:



mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist



even though when I entered fdisk -l the report said:



Device Boot  Start   End    Blocks   Id    System
/dev/sda1 63 80324 40131 de Dell Utility


I tried super grub disk 2, it found Windows 7 but could not recover without reverting to previous save. It suggested that I unplug all external devices and retry. After I unplugged all devices super grub disk 2 could not find the OS. I ran sudo fdisk -l and received the same list as before.



There is also another problem and I believe they are related when i enter ls into the grub rescue command prompt I get (hd0) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1) not the normal (hd0) (hd0,Y) (hd0,W) etc.




I tried ls (hd0) /boot the message I received was no such file system.



UPDATE: I tried ubfan1's suggestion but I can't seem to mount it



sudo mount /dev/sde5 /mnt && sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys  && sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf && sudo chroot /mnt  


I recieved the error message:




chroot: cannot change root directory to /mn: No such file or directory  


Is the error my code or something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...