Sunday, October 27, 2019

grub2 - How to remove or hide the GRUB boot menu?


Recently I decided to use only Ubuntu and there is no Windows in my laptop. When I turn on my laptop the GRUB menu is showing but I don't need to choose OS anymore.


How can I remove or hide this?
And after removing this how could I access to recovery mode?



To not see the GRUB menu while booting:



  1. Open the /etc/default/grub file using from terminal entering: gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

  2. Change GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

  3. Save the file and quit the text editor.

  4. Run: sudo update-grub

  5. Reboot.


This will remove the time that you need to wait for the GRUB menu to disappear.


IMPORTANT: If then you need to change to Recovery mode in some instance just press ESC when Linux starts. That is between when the BIOS finishes loading all necessary stuff and the Operating System starts. Then the GRUB menu will appear giving you the change to select the recovery mode.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...