Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Ubuntu 16.04 | Can't log back in from suspend after kernel update using GNOME 3 (NVIDIA)

Recently I upgraded the kernel I was using to the newest available, and everything worked great until the screen locked and I couldn't log back in. At first it was a black screen displaying the top bar with the clock and user name, now it's like the desktop froze even though I still can move my cursor.
Reading all the questions asked here and trying all of the solutions provided the only way I could get back was rebooting (logging through Crtl+Alt+F2)



I have tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm changing between GDM and LightDM.
And I tried sudo chown user:user .Xauthority.



I also tried reinstalling GDM and disabling and/or upgrading the nvidia drivers, as I read that that could have been the problem.*



kernel: 4.13.8-041308-generic
shell: Gnome 3.18.5
distro: Ubuntu 16.04




Edit: *Just playing around with nvidia releases I discovered that sudo apt-get install nvidia-current solved the problem but it brought other problems as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...