Sunday, October 27, 2019

installation - ATI drivers "break" in between installing/updating Ubuntu for the first time. What can I do?

This might sound odd, but I have a very peculiar graphics driver issue. Basically, I pop the Live CD in, and "try Ubuntu". Everything works fine from GUI animation, to fullscreen flash, to even full-screen 3D graphics.



However, when I install the OS itself, and reboot into it "properly" for the first time, everything breaks. If I stick with open source, I'm unable to use the computer at all, and if I switch to any of the proprietary ATI drivers, usually the OS will be laggy, full-screen flash videos will be black, or 3D graphics will be choppy and glitchy.



It seems as if somewhere in between testing the OS out, and installing/updating it "breaks" the drivers. What can I do to keep them?




I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) graphics card, and I'm running a 64-bit OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...