Monday, October 14, 2019

drivers - ThinkPad Intel Graphics issues 16.04

I've been having some fairly major issues with Ubuntu graphics. Googling turns up many Launchpad bugs, many Stack Exchange articles and pages from other forums. But no one seems to be fixing this so I'm just going to post this in the hope someone can help/fix this issue. (Here's one from 9 days ago: Intel graphics and DisplayPort: *ERROR* failed to train DP, aborting and here's my Launchpad bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1574617)


I have a ThinkPad T450s with an Intel Integrated Broadwell GPU. I used to own an Ironlake T410. On both of these laptops, when upgrading to 16.04 from 15.10 I have begun encountering:



  • Major screen flickering and blanking

  • Decreased graphics performance (YouTube, HTML5 etc.)

  • Issues when connecting external monitors (monitors drop out, refuse to come out of sleep saying there is no connection but Xrandr has the monitor down as active and thinks it is piping data to it)

  • If you're lucky enough to get a connection, if you move your pointer across the monitors (extended display) you'll get an epileptic fit from the amount of blinking and flashing...


These are generally when plugged into the docking station and across any digital output (DP, DVI, HDMI...), VGA seems more stable but my monitors are all digital so I only get to 'trial' it when I plug into the meeting room projector... It is possible to get a connection to the monitor over digital ports, it's pretty random but generally it will stay working for a while then when your laptop goes to sleep, the monitor goes to sleep and then doesn't wake up: sometimes it does, most times it doesn't. Either way, it soon drops out as you drag something across...


These bugs are driving my crazy, I've tried the Intel drivers, updating the kernel modifying xorg.conf files - I'm pretty sure this is a bug but if I'm doing something really stupid I'd like to know as otherwise I'm really starting to lose faith in the 'open source bugs fixed ASAP' model that everyone is championing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...