Sunday, October 15, 2017

Dual Boot Help: Ubuntu and Windows 7

i5 4460
AsRock H97 Pro4
Kingston Hyperx 2x4GB
MSI R7 260X
EVGA 500W PSU
Crucial MX100 128 GB SSD
Western Digital CB 1 TB HDD



Anyways I decided to dual boot Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 7 onto my SSD, which I have done successfully (GRUB allows me to choose the OS upon booting)! However I have a slew of questions that I hope this community can answer. Please bear with me :) To introduce myself I am an engineering student, and the reason I chose to do dual booting was to fit the needs of my various tasks.





  1. I want to have all my programs and files stored on the HDD, and have the SSD exclusively for OS and drivers. I want both Ubuntu and Windows to be able to grab files from the hard drive seamlessly.Basically I want to prevent any installations or files from saving to the SSD and redirect them to the HDD.


  2. Do drivers need to be installed on both OS's? I installed the MSI driver on Windows but it works fine on both Windows and Ubuntu. Just curious.


  3. In Windows I can only see the Windows partition in the Explorer however in Ubuntu I can see the Ubuntu partition in addition to Windows one. Why is that?


  4. Any other dual boot tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...