Saturday, October 21, 2017

11.10 - Recompiling Ubuntu stock kernel


I want to recompile the stock Ubuntu kernel (on Oneiric) with just one change: include usbcore as a kernel module so it can be reloaded at runtime (I have some issue with usb support crashing at certain times and want to avoid rebooting).


I am following these instructions. I had/have two issues:



  1. I have already found out from the docs of kernel-package, that instead of what above instructions suggest, I should apparently be using the --append-to-version flag of make-kpkg to give a custom name for my compiled kernel (instead of just --revision).


  2. As I said I want to start of with all the default settings like in the Ubuntu stock kernel. When I start from the sources in the ubuntu package linux-source-3.0.0 and just call make menuconfig, will I be presented with the Ubuntu stock configuration, or some other defaults (mainline?). Should I then be rather copying a default configuration from somewhere else (e.g. /boot/config-...)?



Cheers,


Nikolaus



Well, as I just gave somebody this answer an hour ago or so I'd hope you'd get a stock configuration.


Reasoning:
When you download the source via apt-get source linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic or whatever it downloads the original Debian source then Ubuntu patches and applies them. Theoretically that'd include a .config...


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...