Sunday, October 15, 2017

cuda - nvidia black screen at lightdm when switching from intel to nvidia gpu


Nvidia Prime and graphics switching is broken for me.


I can use my Intel graphics fine, but if I try and switch to Nvidia it just shows a black lightdm screen. I know it boots because I can hear the greeter sound.


I tried changing the resolution before I switched and still a black screen.


Any ideas how I can get this working?


I am just trying to use CUDA honestly and don't need to switch if I can just use CUDA.


./devicequery returns nothing when in Intel graphics mode so I figured I had to get into Nvidia graphics mode.


Using 352 with CUDA 7.5



After banging my head against the wall for 2 days I figured out why it wasn't working.


I should mention I installed CUDA 7.5 and that also installs Nvidia drivers 352. I also have a fresh copy of 14.04.3 installed and only updated before installing those CUDA drivers from Nvidias website.


After looking at the Xorg log I found GLX wasn't loading. I learned that first a kernel module gets loaded and then GLX and then something like LibGL. To fix the GLX issue I installed a few packages.


sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia linux-headers-generic

After doing that everything worked to my surprise. I have no idea why this isn't installed in the process, but I reported the bug to Nvidia either way.


I'm just starting messing around with CUDA, but it seems like this shouldn't of took 2 days to get working.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...