Friday, June 30, 2017

How can I turn off hard disk power management in 12.04?

In Ubuntu 12.04 the power management does not allow control of hard disk spinning preferences. As a result, when the laptop is on battery the hard disk continues to stop spinning to save power.


I could change manually the settings via the command


sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda


that disables the hard disk power management and lets it spin continuously also on battery. But when I plug the laptop to power and then return to battery the manual setting is lost.


Is there a way to configure this permanently? I really don't care if the laptop consumes more power, but I don't like the disk stopping and starting when I am on battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...