Monday, June 19, 2017

Command for clicking GUI application?



In Dash, I can search an application e.g. mplayer, and click to run it.



In terminal, when I run the application e.g. mplayer, it is usually not the same as how I run it from Dash (no menu and progress bar in mplayer)



How can I find out what command and options clicking mplayer icon invokes? Thanks.



Drag the icon from the Dash into a Terminal. You'll get something like




application://mplayer.desktop


Now search for a file named mplayer.desktop in $HOME/.local/share/applications/ and /usr/share/applications. In that file search for a line starting with Exec=. After the = there's the command to run, maybe with something like %f or %U instead of the file name.



Or install Arronax, open it and drag the icon into the window. The command will be in the Command field.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...