Thursday, June 15, 2017

Can't boot up Windows 10 after I installed Ubuntu

I have a Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo Z570) and I decided to give Ubuntu a try and install it alongside Windows. So I shrank my D: partition using Windows disk management utility, downloaded the Ubuntu ISO image and booted it from USB. During the setup I chose the Something else option (Note: Ubuntu didn't detect Windows and didn't offer me the option to install it alongside Windows so I chose the Something else option) and made 3 partitions for root, swap and home. When I proceeded with the installation process, an error appeared saying




The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install into an target. without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.




So I ran the setup again and this time I chose to overwrite the existing Ubuntu installation that wasn't completed and this time the setup succeeded. But when I restarted my laptop, I found out my laptop booted directly into Ubuntu instead of showing me the bootloader. Just when I turn on my laptop and before Ubuntu logo appears, I encounter this error (this error got fixed but GRUB still can't detect Windows 10)




System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.


Things I have tried:




  • Running sudo update-grub and restarting

  • Running boot-repair and restarting and repeating that again (Here's the pastebin for the first time: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/mnb2t6NYmz/ and the second: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/2j2H8JvzYh/

  • Changing the boot order to give Ubuntu the priority

  • Mounting the Windows partition, then running sudo os-prober then sudo update-grub


  • Opening GRUB manually by pressing Esc in BIOS, but i just see Ubuntu listed and Windows isn't there



One thing I noticed when changing the boot order is that there were two values called ubuntu not one. Maybe this has to do with the first failed setup I did and then when I did a second setup so maybe it got a little messed up? (This also got fixed and instead it's a single value)

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...