Saturday, January 5, 2019

software installation - "Installing" programs



This is problem I encounter many times. Sometimes when I download programs, they are in zip/tar.gz or any other extension. I simply extract them and click on bin. Everything is working fine, but I want a program to be visible in unity search, be able to run it from terminal as "programname" and everything else I can do with programs installed from repository.



I don't want to edit bashrc, I believe it has to do something with links.



How to achieve that?



Usually there is a special "Ubuntu" version of Linux programs
(.deb files or PPA repositories)

Which can be installed. Otherwise do this:



For just yourself:
put the program dir anywhere and create a launcher in ~/.local/share/applications/
which adds it to unity.



For others, you can do this for all users:
As root copy the folder to /opt (terminal: sudo nautilus /opt/ and then Drag-Drop)
And create a Launcher in /usr/share/applications by copying a existing one and changing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...