Sunday, January 6, 2019

installation - Which is the correct ISO file to download Ubuntu 13.04 on a laptop with an Intel Core i5 processor?


The Ubuntu website automatically downloads an ISO file with the -amd64.iso suffix. I see no option to download one for an Intel processor. I don't know if it even matters or if this -amd64.iso is universal for all computers. I have a Lenovo P500 with Windows 8 and I'm trying to create a bootable USB stick. I followed the instructions on http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows and Pen Drive Linux has 2 options for the ISO file download. It has the -amd64.iso and an -i83.iso file. I downloaded the -i83 but I'm not sure if I was supposed to download the other one since the main website only downloads -amd64. Can someone please clarify? Help is appreciated, thanks.



AMD64 is affixed to the end of the name of the file, because AMD was the first to adopt a realistic 64-bit architecture that was backwards-compatible, therefore, Intel has to license the x86-64 instruction set from AMD.


In other words, there is no Intel version, and there is no AMD version. As long as you have a processor made after 2006-2008, you have 64-bit support, and should use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. (Ubuntu *-amd64.iso)


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...