Wednesday, November 8, 2017

How to correctly restore system from tar backup?


Ok, so I decided to make a backup of my ubuntu 13.04 system using tar. I was following guide here and I made a backup of my ubuntu installation.


Now, what I don't understand, is how to restore from this backup. Should i just untar this file to newly created partition and repair grub? Because that didn't work.
By the way for grub repair I used boot-repair.
The thing about restoration is not explained well in the guide in my opinion.


I also found some alternatives like clonezilla and remastersys which isn't supported anymore, alternative for that is relinux, but I really find this tar backup satisfying, just restoration is something still unexplained to me.


Can you please tell how to restore?



Yes, all you need to do is untar the backup to a freshly formatted partition, and restore grub. To restore grub, you want to chroot into the partition, and run dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc and set it to install grub to whichever drive you will be booting from.


sudo -s
for f in proc sys dev ; do mount --bind /$f /mnt/$f ; done
chroot /mnt
dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
for f in proc sys dev ; do umount /mnt/$f
exit

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...