Saturday, September 3, 2016

dual boot - How can I install Windows after I've installed Ubuntu?


I have Ubuntu on my laptop. Now I want install Windows 7 in a dual-boot. How can I do this?


I can't lose my Ubuntu files, and I'm afraid that I might break GRUB.


Go here for UEFI only!



Here's the general outline:



  1. Make space for Windows

  2. Install Windows

  3. Mount the /boot directory or partition

  4. Install the bootloader (GRUB)


Open up GParted, and make sure that you have at least 20 GB available for Windows 7, either as a partition you can remove, or as unpartitioned space. If it's a partition, remove it from GRUB to make sure it doesn't break your Ubuntu install — GParted will complain if anything bad is about to happen.


Make note of current /boot device. If that doesn't show up there, make note of the / device. The device name is something like sda5.


Install Windows 7 into the space you just made



Note: Instead of mounting the boot directory or partition from the installation in the live media environment you can specify the path with the --boot-directory parameter for grub-install, more information on the manpage.



Load up from your Ubuntu live CD, and then run these commands.



  • If you DO NOT have a separate /boot partition:


    sudo mount /dev/DEVICENAME_FROM_STEP_ONE /mnt
    sudo rm -rf /boot # Careful here, make sure YOU ARE USING THE LIVE CD. I tried it, it works.
    sudo ln -s /mnt/boot /boot

  • If you have a SEPARATE /boot partition:


    sudo mount /dev/DEVICENAME_FROM_STEP_ONE /boot



Note: These instructions were initially written for Windows 7 and BIOS booting computers. If you have UEFI and Windows 8 and above you probably need to replace grub-pc with grub-efi-amd64 in sudo apt-get install grub-pc.



Then continue with those commands:


sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-pc
sudo grub-install /dev/sda # NOTE THAT THERE IS NO DIGIT
sudo umount /boot

And restart. It should work fine and boot both systems.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...