Wednesday, November 2, 2016

kernel - BayTrail CPU and Ubuntu 15.10

I have a machine with an Asrock q1900b-itx mobo and I'm experiencing random freezes of the system. By freeze I mean everything hangs and there is absolutely nothing that can be done except reset.
I've read lots of threads, which date up to a year ago, about this problem , so this has been going for quite some time. The suggestion I found is to go to the BIOS and set C1 as the max state or to put some "intel_idle.max_cstate=1" line somewhere, which does the same thing.



The problem is that this is not a fix. Disabling CPU features isn't a way to solve problems. I bought this machine for a low power server and disabling power saving features is the last thing I would want to do. If a fix can't be made I suggest that BayTrail CPU's have to be labeled as "Not supported" and I would have to go to Windows, until a proper fix is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...