Thursday, November 10, 2016

Grub Rescue when trying to boot into my main drive

I installed the latest Ubuntu onto an External Hard Drive just about 30 minutes ago. The drive was sdc with a boot portion and a swap as well. Upon restarting my computer, I came face to face with a Grub Rescue screen. Before freaking out, I restarted my computer and attempted to boot straight into my main drive instead (sda).
Grub Rescue.


I never touched the drive in the partition menu when installing, so I don't know what is causing this to happen.


I restarted again and attempted to boot into Ubuntu through my External HD I had just installed it on, and instead of the Grub Rescue, I was met with a black screen.
So I had to resort to using my USB with the Linux installer on it, and clicking "Try Linux" to come onto the forums and ask for help.
I can see my main drive and the contents of it through the File viewer, but I cannot boot into it thanks to Grub.


I am panicking because this is the first time I have ever had any issues with this, and not to mention if my Main Drive somehow became un-bootable, I'd have just lost 500GB of data (most of which is important), and my OS.
I have looked at a few threads with the same issue, but their versions of Ubuntu were outdated so the solutions didn't work.


Is there any way I could boot into my main drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...