Sunday, November 6, 2016

boot - Ubuntu 16.04 Freezes at login screen

I am running ubuntu 16.04 in a dual-boot with Windows 10. The windows 10 boots without problem, so it's not a hardware issue. I did the update of ubuntu and rebooted my machine as requested. Now -every- time I get to the login screen the machine freezes. My machine is a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series. These are the hardwarde specs for my machine.



The solutions I have tried so far are:




  1. booting in recovery mode and running the file system check tool

  2. booting in recovery mode and booting in failsafegraphics mode.

  3. booting from an earlier kernel (also repeating #1 and #2) using an earlier kernel.

  4. I tried booting using (upstart) but the screen just goes black and never boots.




This could very easily be a graphic driver problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... thanks.



UPDATE: My computer is definitely affected by the c-state bug. However, my machine hangs before I can boot and open a terminal to fix the bug. I tried the temporary edit to grub to pass a the kernel boot parameter, but it simply doesn't work.



Can someone give me instructions on how to use an ubuntu livecd to access my machines grub file so that I can make edits suggested here? btw, I use an encrypted home folder... Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...