Friday, September 2, 2016

command line - Adding my launcher to the Unity Launcher automatically. How?

Based on official documentation:




In order to add your launcher to the Unity Launcher on the left, you
select and drag it onto the Launcher panel. Alternatively, you can

place your .desktop file at /usr/share/applications/ or at
~/.local/share/applications/. After moving your file there, search for
it in the Dash (Windows key -> type the name of the application) and
drag and drop it to the Unity Launcher. Now your launcher (.desktop
file) is locked on the Unity Launcher!




It means, that you can add a launcher manually via "drag and drop".
But, is it possible to do this programatically?




I can explain why I am asking about it:



I have my own scpirt, it downloads the latest version of Eclipse IDE, creates eclipse.desktop file without iteraction with User.



And on the last step I want to add Eclipse.desktop file to Unity Launcher and I do not want to ask user to do it.



I analized the spesification for *.desktop files and did get an answer.



Please provide advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...