Thursday, February 14, 2019

Installed Virtualbox guest additions on host



I just ran:
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
on my host (Ubuntu 13.10). I was hoping to get a copy of the iso file, but I'm afraid that it may have installed the guest additions on my host machine. The only problem that I have seen (so far) is that VirtualBox has lost all of my virtual machines. The directories and files are still there, but VirtualBox does not see them.
Have I messed up my host OS by installing guest additions on it?
Is there a way to get back my virtual machines?



No harm done. The package virtualbox-guest-additions Install virtualbox-guest-additions of the repositories will only install the CD-ROM .iso file in /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.



What may have happened however is that as a dependency you also had installed the OSE edition of Virtual Box from the repositories. This will override the installation of Virtual Box from the Oracle repository or a downloaded DEBIAN package. You will have to remove the OSE version again




sudo apt-get purge virtualbox


before you will be able to reinstall a newer version of Virtual Box. Your virtual machines will not be touched by this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...