Tuesday, February 19, 2019

drivers - Ubuntu 16.04 only works when secondary monitor is connected

I have Ubuntu 16.04 on a Gigabyte Aero 14 laptop having Geforce GTX 1060 VGA. Using different nvidia drivers results in different behavior. For example, "nvidia-384" and "nvidia-387" don't detect the second monitor.




Currently, I have installed nvidia-390 (tried both .run file from nvidia website, and the package from ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa). It works when the external monitor is attached, but when I disconnect the monitor and reboot, ubuntu crashes after login.



Some notes:




  • I have already tried Ubuntu 16.04 + Nvidia Driver = Blank screen

  • Reinstalled drivers

  • Tried both UEFI disabled and enabled

  • Tried Unity and Gnome


  • Nouveau driver, nvidia-367, nvidia-384, and nvidia-387 don't detect my second monitor

  • Tried both mini-display to VGA port, and HDMI to HDMI

  • sudo lshw -c video result: https://pastebin.com/raw/pZmkDbWC

  • CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

  • BIOS info: enter image description here

  • In BIOS, the only option related to VGA I see is 3D Graphic Acceleration
    enter image description here

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...