Wednesday, February 13, 2019

drivers - xrandr missing default screen resolution on kubuntu 16.04 for external video card




I know I know, there are tons of questions regarding unrecognized screen resolutions, using xrandr, installing Nvidia drivers and related.



My new system is running Kubuntu 16.04, with kernel version 4.4.0-generic. It is a custom built computer, running an external video card, EVGA 1060 GTX 3GB model.



Following advices in this "guide": How do I install the Nvidia drivers? I was able to install the latest nvidia-370.



Now, on the ASUS monitor I am currently at (ASUS VS247H), the resolution should be 1920x1080, but only a maximum of 1024x768 is shown if running xrandr -q



xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768

default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 76.00*


Things I tried so far:



1)-------------------------------



The first thing that bothered me from the above was the line




xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default


I tried some things, for example the first answer of this question here: "Fails to get size of gamma" error when trying to set resolution, which did not have any effect.



Then I realized that I had no file under /etc/X11/xorg.conf did not exist, and yet another answer at the site popped up: /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't exist?



Fazit: I tried generating my own as described in the first answer of this question: Where is the X.org config file? How do I configure X there? and then manually set a Screen with the correct resolution, without success.



2)-------------------------------




As mentioned in this guide about xrandr, I tried using



cvt 1920 1080 60
xrandr --newmode
xrandr --addmode HDMI1 1920x1080_60.00


But still, the above




xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default


seems to be killing me.



wow , nice graphics card !



its supported by the 367.27 which is supposed to be stable on day one according to phoronix.



http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nv-linux-gtx1060&num=1 



heres the nvidia driver ,



http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/104284/en-us


but i'd recommend using the graphics-drivers-ppa version as it will be less fiddly to install and upgrade.



https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa



There instructions on how to install on that page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...