Thursday, February 21, 2019

14.04 - No video signal for nvidia driver



I followed the steps in this answer entering these commands as I had a similar problem...




sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop 
sudo apt-get install unity
sudo apt-get purge nvidia* bumblebee*
sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime
sudo shutdown -r now


...but, after rebooting, I lose video signal during the boot sequence before the log in screen.




How can I get the video signal back? I have Ubuntu 14.04 and nvidia graphics card.



The sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime part of the linked answer installed an incompatible video driver.



I resolved this by:




  1. booting into the advanced options from the grub menu,

  2. selecting the first recovery mode option,

  3. selecting the start networking option,


  4. selecting the command prompt as root option



From the command prompt, I entered apt-get install nvidia-current
and installed compatible nvidia drivers.



This solution, or similar for different video cards, may help others with video driver problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...