Monday, October 9, 2017

16.04 - How to solve the E:Malformed entry 55 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component), problem


I am new to Ubuntu and so far I have this problem: I've tried to install skype and couldn't do it. Then the software "app" stop working and I get an error of Failed to load the package list, followed by details:


E:Malformed entry 55 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component),
E:The list of sources could not be read.

I'm really rookie at this, but I've tried my best figuring out through older ask ubuntu questions of the "E:Malformed entry 54" but that is not working.


Please help.



To fix your problem...


In terminal...


cat -n /etc/apt/sources.list

observe the contents of line #55. That's where your error is. Normal lines start with deb http:// or deb-src http:// or #.


Backup the file...


sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/source.list.backup

Now to edit out the problem...


gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

or


sudo -H gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and place a # at the front of the offending line to comment it out. Save the file and quit gedit.


I've looked at your sources.list file, and I've found the problem. Unfortunately imgur.com makes a graphic image of the pasted text, so I can't just copy/paste the error lines here, so I'll have to use a graphic...


enter image description here


You'll see that the last 2 lines are duplicates of the first two lines, except that they're incomplete, and the 3rd line is specifically the one causing your problem.


Since you've been having a problem with gksudo, and with gedit, we'll give an example using the pico editor...


sudo pico /etc/apt/sources.list

Remove the last two incomplete lines shown in my graphic, then save and quit.


Pico note: use arrow keys to move, control-o, enter, control-x to save and quit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...