Sunday, March 20, 2016

upgrade - What determines PPA updates after new Ubuntu releases?

Before upgrading to Saucy, I had several PPAs installed. As usual, the upgrade process disabled the PPAs. Afterwards, I re-enabled the PPAs in Software Sources (making sure that the release was set to saucy) and ran an update. Some of the PPAs worked, but others gave 404 errors:


W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/duplicity-team/ppa/ubuntu/dists/saucy/main/binary-i386/Packages: 404  Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/stackapplet-dev/stackapplet/ubuntu/dists/saucy/main/binary-i386/Packages: 404 Not Found
...

Evidently, this common issue occurs because these PPAs haven't been updated to provide packages for Saucy (when I browse to the PPA URLs, only releases through Raring are listed).


"How can I fix a 404 Error when using a PPA or updating my package lists?" suggests removing the PPAs to fix the errors. However, I don't want to remove these PPAs because I believe they are still maintained. For instance, https://launchpad.net/~stackapplet-dev/+archive/stackapplet had a new upload a few weeks ago. I assume that if I just wait, these PPAs will eventually get updated to support Saucy.


What determines when this happens after a new release of Ubuntu? Does it only happen once the maintainer uploads a new version on Launchpad? How long will I have to wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...