Wednesday, March 30, 2016

installation - Can I use Ubuntu installers partition tool (Win 8.1 and Ubuntu 13.04)


I have laptop less than year old with preinstalled Windows 8 (now updated to 8.1). I'd like to install Ubuntu alongside with Windows, I have read many instructions on web and watched tutorials on Youtube, but still one question remains.


I have Hp laptop, with 'local disk (C:)' and 'RECOVERY (D:)'. I would like to avoid manual partitioning because I don't have the confidence to mess with that :). I've seen in the instructions on web that I could use the 'Install alongside Windows' option and it would create the partitions automatically, but all the examples are having Windows with only C: disk.


So the question is: will it make any difference to have also the D: disk? Can I use the 'Install alongside Windows' option?


(I've booted my laptop already from LiveUSB and selected the Try Ubuntu, and checked that I had the 'Install alongside Windows' option visible, just didn't have the guts to do it then :)..)



Yes,"Install alongside Windows" option will make the D drive to loss it's files or even the whole partition also.


So first partition the disk and fomat it to ext4 partition using Gparted partition Editor.Then run the Ubuntu installer and then choose "something else" option to manually install Ubuntu on a selected ext4 partition.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...