Tuesday, March 29, 2016

boot - trouble booting 14.04 from USB




I'm trying to upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 and am encountering problems.
I'm working from 12.04. Downloaded the 14.04 iso file. Used the Startup Disc Creator App.



However, when I try to boot from USB, I get a "Boot error" message.
I've tried booting with the USB drive in all 4 USB ports. I've reformatted the USB drive. I've re-downloaded the iso file. Keep getting the same results.




Frustrating because it worked fine when I loaded 12.04 using this same procedure on the same computer (Toshiba Satellite with AMD 64 processor).



Got 14.04 on the system without having to re-install using USB stick.
Found this link with instructions on how to upgrade directly from within 12.04.



Here are the steps:



Make sure all updates are installed.
Open a terminal screen
Type sudo update-manager -d
An update window pop-up window should appear with an option at the top to upgrade to 14.04.




Worked perfectly for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...