Friday, March 25, 2016

installation - How do I install Ubuntu without using a LiveCD/USB?

There appear to be two types of Ubuntu installations: 'live' installations (typically USB or CD) and what I'm going to call 'full' installations (typically on an internal HDD).


Full installations can use "Startup Disk Creator" to create live installations, and live installations ask if you would like to try Ubuntu or install to a hard drive, creating 'full' installations.


How can I create another 'full' installation on another partition/disk, without creating an intermediate bootable 'live' medium? This seems like it should be simple.


Example Scenario:


A computer with four partitions: swap, /home, / , and one blank. Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop is currently installed on partition 3. I would like to install 12.04-server on the 4th partition. I have the .iso saved on the drive (/home partition). How do I perform a full (not 'live') install of 12.04-server to the fourth partition without buying a USB stick or CD drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...