Thursday, March 31, 2016

installation - Graphics issue after upgrading from 11.10 to 12.04

This is a weird one, I think.




The hardware: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 3530, 4GB RAM, 2x500GB HDD, ATI Radeon 3650



So, I upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 from the Update Mangler. Everything went swimmingly and it took about 90 mins to install. Then, following reboot, it tells me that it can't determine my graphics settings and is running in low res mode. Then it gives me 4 options:



run in low graphics mode for one session
reconfigure graphics
troubleshoot the error
exit to console login.



Whichever I choose it just shows me the terminal and asks for login, which i do, then it just leaves a blinking cursor. I have no idea what the hell it is expecting me to do.




What am I supposed to do? 11.10 installed and just worked, which made me quite happy about my decision to ditch Windows. However, now, I find I have a laptop that I cannot use at all and Ubuntu is giving me no pointers at all. Not a happy bunny. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it as I need my laptop back asap and don't want to have to go an buy a copy of Windows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...