Monday, January 6, 2020

multiple monitors - Ubuntu Gnome (w/ Wayland) - install desktop with X?

UPDATE: Ubuntu 18.04 is back to X with an Ubuntood version of Gnome which can be replaced with the stock version using sudo apt install vanilla-gnome-desktop



I have a System76 laptop with Ubuntu GNOME (17.04). Ubuntu GNOME uses wayland.



I also have a USB DisplayLink adapter that powers 2 external monitors.
That adapter connects but is unworkably buggy (as in no image). Displaylink is working on wayland support but it's not ready yet.



Is there a way to easily switch Ubuntu GNOME from wayland to x?



Or install an alternative desktop that uses x on the side?




Or otherwise shim some X into wayland so I can use this adapter?



I prefer Gnome, but more prefer multiple monitors with this USB displaylink, and even more prefer not reinstalling.



Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...