Monday, April 30, 2018

Deleted windows partition from Ubuntu and now can't boot

I recently was performing a fresh install of Windows on one of the partitions on my SSD and for some reason I decided to delete the windows boot partition from within Ubuntu before cloning over a factory reset version of Windows from another drive (using Clonezilla). All I ever touched was the big C: partition I had been using for windows, but when I rebooted, I couldn't even access Ubuntu: the windows boot manager I had been using to dual boot still showed both options but BOTH of them gave me errors that it couldn't find bootable media. What do you think happened? Did I screw up my MBR? I've connected the drive to another system using a usb-SATA connection and it shows the volumes I'd expect still there, but the ubuntu partition now shows up as RAW. I'm worried that I may not be able to recover my Ubuntu installation which is exactly what I was trying to avoid.



Since then I've done various things to do a fresh install of windows on the old (newly reformatted) partition, including using the windows installation disk and each time the installation is supposedly successful but the computer will never boot into an OS. Repairs to the MRB don't seem to have any affect. I'm going to try and save an image of the RAW partition that used to contain ubuntu, wipe the drive, and try cloning a drive that is booting properly, but I don't know what I should do to make sure that I can get my Ubuntu install back. I have saved an image to a exFAT USB and I can also make a partition-partition backup on another drive (using clonezilla) but I don't know what format the target partition should be. I can't make it ext4 in windows and I can't make it RAW either.



Someone please help! What did I do when I deleted my windows partition from within Ubuntu?



Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...