Sunday, March 26, 2017

drivers - 1080 GTX Slow performance Ubuntu 16.04


I have installed a new Nvidia 1080 GTX and I tried to install it in Ubuntu 16.04.


1) Installed on other SSD using HDMI (intel)
2) I used sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
3) Select Nvidia Drivers 367.xx (Open source)


When I opened chrome every other window had lag when resizing and moving around.


Other things I tried:


Downloading the Nvidia driver on their website using a ".run" file (Which give me the login loop error)


I do not know what is going on.


In Windows 10 the GPU works very well. I did benchmarks, heating tests and played high demand GPU games.


Thanks for any help in advance.



Install the nVidia proprietary beta driver. Open source drivers, to my knowledge, do not work well currently with Pascal GPUs.


Make sure to select the proprietary driver in Additional Drivers.


If that doesn't work, try disabling all window animations and install CCSM. You might want to tweak some of the OpenGL and Unity settings.


Is the GPU experiencing lag in only Chrome? Do other 3d applications work well? In that case, it could be that Chrome has a compatibility issue.


In that case, go to chrome://flags and enable all flags pertaining to Hardware acceleration. Then go to chrome://gpu and make sure all the flags there have hardware acceleration enabled. You might want to check this out:


https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/CtKF2BiskT8;context-place=forum/chrome


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...